Volunteer at ArtVenture
Every summer, we offer over 200 art classes to kids in our community through our ArtVenture Summer Camp program, and we need volunteers to make it happen. Volunteers assist in the classroom alongside our teachers, help with check in and check out, print t-shirts and help us monitor breaks and lunch. We have volunteer opportunities for adults as well as for students ages 14-17 through our ArtVenture Youth Ambassador Program.
- Minimum of ONE week: 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.; 12-4:30 p.m. or both sessions
- You are welcome to sign up for multiple weeks
- Review the volunteer expectations document and the medical status form. If selected to be a volunteer, you will fill out and sign these documents at orientation.
- Fill out the application below. Alternatively, you may download a paper application and mail it or drop it off at VisArts at 1812 West Main Street, Richmond, VA 23220.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Expect to hear back from us within one week.
- The last day to apply is May 18.
- If accepted, you will receive a communication from us to sign up for your shifts and an invitation to volunteer orientation on June 7.
ArtVenture Youth Ambassador Program
The Visual Arts Center of Richmond’s summer ArtVenture Ambassador program is open to students ages 14 to 17 who have an interest in the visual arts, developing their leadership skills, working with children and gaining experience in arts education. Ambassadors volunteer under the supervision of ArtVenture instructors, VisArts education department staff and VisArts administrative staff.
Ambassadors assist with weeklong studio art day camps for children between the ages of 5 and 14. Duties include assisting art teachers and engaging children during ArtVenture classes, aiding with camp set-up and clean-up, supervising children during break-time, lunch, and extended day, helping instructors prepare projects, and daily cleaning after camp. Service-learning hours are granted for hours worked, and credit is earned towards VisArts’ classes.
- High school student aged 14 to 17
- Motivated, responsible, mature and flexible with a positive attitude
- Past experience working with children is a plus
- ArtVenture or Art After School alumni is a plus
What You’ll Gain
- Experience working side-by-side with some of the best arts educators in Richmond
- Experience working at one of the most inspiring and creative places in Richmond
- Hands-on teaching experiences
- Opportunities to lead special activities in projects such as: break activities, hanging weekly arts exhibitions, t-shirt printing and more
- Credit toward future volunteer classes: $10 for every 4 hours logged
- Certificate of completion signed by VisArts staff
The application below is for both adult volunteers and those who would like to be a part of our Artventure Youth Ambassador program.