Volunteer at ArtVenture
**UPDATE** This year, we’ve made the difficult decision to cancel all on-site ArtVenture classes due to COVID-19.
Every summer, we offer art classes to kids in our community through our ArtVenture Summer Camp program, and we need volunteers to make it happen. Volunteers assist in the classroom alongside our teachers, help with check in and check out, print t-shirts and help us monitor breaks and lunch. We have volunteer opportunities for adults as well as for students ages 14-17 through our ArtVenture Youth Ambassador Program.
- Minimum of ONE week: 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.; 12-4:30 p.m. or both sessions
- You are welcome to sign up for multiple weeks
- Review the volunteer expectations document and the medical status form. If selected to be a volunteer, you will fill out and sign these documents at orientation.
- Fill out the application below.
- Once you apply, we will reach out within a few weeks to set up a time for a short phone interview. Then, once accepted, we will send out a link to sign up for the shifts you would like. Applications and sign ups are done on a rolling basis.
- If you volunteered in 2017, 2018, or 2019 you do not need to reapply. You will be emailed and given the link to sign up again when the ArtVenture schedule is out on January 29th.
Please contact [email protected] with questions.
ArtVenture Youth Ambassador Program
The Visual Arts Center of Richmond’s summer ArtVenture Ambassador program is open to students ages 14 to 17 who have an interest in the visual arts, developing their leadership skills, working with children and gaining experience in arts education. Ambassadors volunteer under the supervision of ArtVenture instructors, VisArts education department staff and VisArts administrative staff.
Ambassadors assist with weeklong studio art day camps for children between the ages of 5 and 14. Duties include assisting art teachers and engaging children during ArtVenture classes, aiding with camp set-up and clean-up, supervising children during break-time, lunch, and extended day, helping instructors prepare projects, and daily cleaning after camp. Service-learning hours are granted for hours worked, and credit is earned towards VisArts’ classes.
- High school student aged 14 to 17
- Motivated, responsible, mature and flexible with a positive attitude
- Past experience working with children is a plus
- ArtVenture or Art After School alumni is a plus
What You’ll Gain
- Experience working side-by-side with some of the best arts educators in Richmond
- Experience working at one of the most inspiring and creative places in Richmond
- Hands-on teaching experiences
- Opportunities to lead special activities in projects such as: break activities, hanging weekly arts exhibitions, t-shirt printing and more
- Credit toward future volunteer classes: $10 for every 4 hours logged
- Certificate of completion signed by VisArts staff