About This Studio
Our flameworking studio welcomes both soft class and borosilicate processes. Our studio currently provides space for up to six people to work at the torch simultaneously. We have 3 kilns, one exclusively for borosilicate work, and two for soft-glass work. For a complete list of equipment, please scroll to the bottom of this page.
(804) 353-0094 ext. 211
Open Studio Schedule
The open studio schedule is updated for each class session. Please note that times are subject to change.
- Always wear non-flammable clothing (no synthetics). Closed toed shoes are required and hair should be pulled back. Always wear eye protection when using the torch or looking into kilns.
- You should use a dust mask or respirator when handling powdered glass, frit or enamels. Dusk masks are recommended when using the sand blaster as well. These are available for purchase at our front desk.
- Be sure to keep borosilicate and soft glass materials separate.
- Students or open studio users should never handle oxygen or propane tanks. Always ask a monitor or instructor to turn on, off or change a tank.
- Kilns are to be managed by instructors and monitors only. Be sure your finished piece is going into the correct temperature kiln and be respectful of other work that may be in the kiln already. Do not move or remove a piece that isn’t yours.
- When starting a torch: open the propane valve (red), light torch, then open the oxygen valve (green). When turning off a torch: close the oxygen valve (green), then close the propane valve (red).
- Students receive materials as a part of their class fees and are able to purchase additional glass during class or open studio.
- Open studio access users can bring in their own materials as long as they are approved by their teacher or the studio monitor.
EQUIPMENT + TOOL USAGE DURING OPEN STUDIO
- Torches and all hand tools are available.
- Sandblaster is available when there is not a class in the glass studio.
- Kilns are available for use but can only be operated and programmed by a studio monitor or instructor.
- 6 Carlisle Mini CC Torches
- Concrete Topped Non-Flammable Work Table
- Stock of soft glass and borosilicate
- Marble Molds
- Bead Mandrels
- Miscellaneous Shaping Tools
- Sand Blaster
- 2 Bead Annealing Kilns
- Front Loading Annealing Kiln