About This Studio
VisArts’ glass studios provide the space and equipment needed for glass fusing, stained glass and glass casting processes. The studio is equipped with four large work areas, a light table, soldering irons, tile saw, lap grinder, sand blaster, kilns and more. For a complete list of equipment, please scroll down to the bottom of this page.
Paid access is limited to stained glass and coldworking in this studio. Coldworking access includes the use of the sandblaster, tile saw, table grinders and lap grinder. Open studio for fusing, slumping and casting is reserved for currently enrolled students.
Have questions about this studio? Email [email protected] and one of our studios or program staff will get back to you.
- Closed-toed shoes are required. Please do not wear loose clothes/sleeves or dangling jewelry. Hair must be tied back.
- All studio users must wear provided eye protection when cutting, grinding, polishing, or soldering.
- Dust mask or respirators must be worn and proper ventilation must be used when working with glass dust, casting plaster, enamels, talc, silica, kiln paper, ceramic fiber, etc. Dust masks are recommended when using the sand blaster as well. Dust masks may be purchased at the front desk.
- Always use water when operating stained glass grinders, lapidary grinder, tile saw and band saw.
- Be careful not to overfill water reservoir in the table grinders as this may cause the user to be shocked. If a grinder is shocking, unplug, empty, and put aside.
- Use cutting oil when using glass cutters to maintain the longevity and sharpness of the tools.
- Kilns are to be operated only by instructors and studio assistants. This includes loading, firing and unloading.
- Only use the tools designated to your specific process and return them to the correct storage area.
- Clean up dust with a wet sponge or vacuum. Do not sweep. Wear a dust mask or respirator when vacuuming.
- Glass for fusing must be purchased from your instructor during class.
- No outside glass should be used for fusing unless you have received specific permission from your instructor.
- Students may not access new glass during open studio time.
- Stained glass paid access users must provide all of their own materials.
EQUIPMENT + TOOL USAGE DURING OPEN STUDIO
- All hand tools are available.
- Grinders, tile saw, and sandblaster may be used during unmonitored open studio time.
- The lap grinder is only available during monitored open studio times. Open studio users must be certified to use this piece of equipment.
- The band saw is not available for use during any open studio times.
- Kilns should not be programmed, loaded or unloaded by anyone but instructors, studio assistants, or the studio manager.
- Four large work tables
- Glass Cutting Equipment
- Soldering Irons
- Lead Vise/Stretcher
- Glass Grinders
- Wet Tile Saw
- Glass Grinders
- Flat Lapidary Grinder (not available during open studio)
- Wet Band Saw (not available during open studio)
- Fusing/Slumping Kilns
- Sand Blaster
- Miscellaneous Glass Tools
- Light Table