Drawing + Painting
About This Studio
VisArts has three large painting and drawing studios: Drawing East, Drawing West and Drawing North. The studios are ideal for drawing, oil and water-based painting, collage and other two-dimensional art forms. Each studio is equipped with easels, folding work tables, stools, chairs, drying racks and communal supplies like still-life set-ups and clamp lights.
Have questions about this studio? Email [email protected] and one of our studios or program staff will get back to you.
- Write your name, class (if applicable), and the date on the back of any work left on the drying racks. Take all work home at the end of each 11-week session. Work that’s left behind will be discarded.
- When leaving the studio, return all easels, trays and stools to “studio neutral.” This means that all easels, trays, stools, chairs and tables are stowed in their specified location. Please ensure all surfaces, easels and sinks are also wiped down.
- When not actively using solvents, please keep the containers covered to minimize evaporation. Do not use paper towels for any oil-based paint clean-up.
- Please dispose of any rags containing solvents or oils in the metal-lidded containers. Do not throw anything containing oils/solvents in the regular trashcans. These materials can spontaneously combust.
- No spray paint, fixative, or other aerosol can materials are to be used in the studios.
- Terpenoid and Gamsol are the only two approved solvents, as they have a very low rate of evaporation. No turpentine, xylene, or other noxious liquids are allowed.
- For your safety, oil paint and solvents may not be used in the Drawing North studio due to poor ventilation. Those materials may only be used in Drawing West or Drawing East.
- Do not dump any solvents down the sink. Pour reusable solvents into separate containers if you wish to continue using them.
- Solvents and paint tubes are both hazardous and combustible materials. These can both be disposed of in their respective red safety bins, located in Drawing East.
EQUIPMENT + TOOL USAGE DURING OPEN STUDIO
- We welcome both oil and water-based processes during open studio. Encaustic processes are not allowed during open studio at this time.
- Open studio users are welcome to utilize easels, wooden trays, stools, pedestals and communal still life set-ups.
- Open studio users are expected to bring their own materials. VisArts does provide rags, solvent, and soap for cleaning brushes.
- Drawing and painting studio access has both scheduled, monitored access, and unmonitored access outside of class.