onsite Camp Safety + COVID Policies
The safety of our community is our number one priority. We’re excited to be able to safely offer camps on–site at VisArts this year. Everyone in our facility must adhere to our COVID-19 Safety Policies, which are listed on our website and follow current CDC and VDH recommendations.
To keep our ArtVenture families safe, we are also:
- Requiring Artventure program teachers, volunteers and staff to wear mask at all times indoors regardless of our community level.
- Requiring all Artventure students to wear a mask when our community level is high; when Richmond’s community level transitions to medium or low, parents or guardians can put in a request through this online form for their students to not wear a mask.
- Offering fewer on–site classes than in previous years
- Setting lower class capacities that allow for socially distancing in classrooms and common spaces
- Running a car drop-off and pick-up system to minimize contact with other students and staff
- Keeping students in small groups. Breaks and snacks will be staggered and spread out in our building and our outdoor spaces and those eating lunch onsite will do so in small groups within their classrooms.
In addition to our COVID policies, we do the following to keep our campers safe:
- Camp staff are certified by the Red Cross to perform CPR, First Aid and administer epi-pens.
- All classrooms are equipped with first aid kits.
- Between the hours of 9am and 4pm our exterior doors are locked and all visitors to the building can only enter after being permitted to do so by our front desk staff.
- Each week we put in place an emergency text alert systems for all teachers and staff to ensure we can communicate quickly in the event of an emergency.
What to Wear + Bring to On-site Classes:
- Please wear close-toed shoes and clothing that you don’t mind getting messy
- We encourage students to bring a snack and water bottle with them every day
- If students are signed up for both morning and afternoon classes, they should plan on bringing a lunch. Please do not bring items that need be heated or refrigerated.
- VisArts is a nut-free facility. Please do not bring any snacks or lunches that contain nuts. This is for the safety of campers who have severe allergies.
- Students often play outside during breaks or field trips, so dress appropriately
- Students may need to bring or wear sunscreen
- We always encourage creativity and playing with others. However, phones and devices are only allowed on-site during breaks.
- VisArts provides all art–making supplies, but students may sometimes be asked to bring items from home or encouraged to bring their own materials
All online camps will be taught through Zoom. In order to participate, you must have a computer, smartphone, or tablet with an internet connection. After registering, you will receive a secure link to join your class. When it’s time for your child’s class, you can click on this link to join the class.
Online Campers Ages 6-8: A parent or guardian needs to be present to help set up technology and make sure the student has everything they need to participate in the class. During class, they should be nearby to help with any difficulties.
Materials: All materials for online classes should be acquired before the start of class by the student or parent/guardian. Materials lists for each of our online classes will be available on our website. For clay classes, air–dry clay can be purchased and picked up from VisArts for $10 or obtained through an online vendor listed on the materials list. Some classes may require items like hot glue guns. These are mentioned in the online class listing under special notes. Before registering, please check to be sure you are comfortable with the materials needed for the class. If students are expected to go outside, this is also mentioned in the class description or in special notes.
Camp T-Shirts + weekly exhibitions
This year, we‘re offering a special, ArtVenture 2022 t-shirt designed by one of our ArtVenture teachers! Shirts will be sold online and will replace our normal camp t-shirt printing sessions each week. We’ll send out the link to purchase t-shirts in April 2022!
To celebrate what you create at ArtVenture, we’ll share weekly virtual exhibitions to replace our on–site, Friday art shows. These will be sent via email to students and posted on our website.
Students are always accompanied or supervised by teachers, staff or volunteers. Occasionally, classes will go on walking trips for photography or other classes. You can agree to our field trip policy by logging into your account in our registration system.
Our marketing team takes photos and videos during ArtVenture to share on social media and use on promotional materials. We understand that not all parents are comfortable with their child being photographed. If you DO NOT want us to photograph or take videos of your child, you may opt out by updating your child’s profile in our registration system. If you have questions about our photography policy, please email [email protected]
You can also log into our registration system if you would like to update your students’ name or pronouns. Pronouns will be visible on their instructors’ rosters.
Please log in to your account to update your emergency contact information and provide information about your students’ medical needs. Our staff will review this and reach out to you with any questions.
VisArts staff are trained in CPR and basic first aid as well as administering epipens. For epipens or other medications, please note in your student’s profile whether you prefer for these items to be kept with your child, or if you would like to store in a central location with VisArts staff.
Accessibility + Restrooms
VisArts has multi-stall restrooms for men and women as well as private, all-gender bathrooms on each floor. We have an elevator and all but one of our studios (Drawing North) are wheelchair accessible.
If you have questions about accessibility at Artventure, please reach out to our Education Manager, Tesni Stephen at [email protected]