How to Navigate Craft + Design Online
by Chris Hairston-White
Welcome to Craft + Design Online, Presented by the Visual Arts Center of Richmond! As chair of the Craft + Design Committee this year, it’s my pleasure to share a how-to guide for navigating and enjoying this year’s virtual event. With over 120 artists (including over 40 new artists) to shop and learn from, you’ll need to prep and plan your approach. Feel free to follow my lead or use this guide to create a game plan of your own!
- For me, step one is to put on comfy clothes
- Every morning between now and November 29, I plan to log on to visarts.org to see what’s happening at the show. The schedule page is the best place to start your day at Craft + Design Online.
- I’m going to keep my credit card handy so that when I find the perfect gift, I’m ready to check out through participating artists’ websites. From the artist page at visarts.org, you can navigate to each exhibitor’s site to shop their work!
Let’s start shopping! I’m looking forward to supporting small business owners from around the country AND supporting the Visual Arts Center of Richmond by giving a donation of $10 or more as my virtual admission ticket price.
Shopping Craft + Design Online: Saturday, November 21 through Sunday, November 29
- Head over to the full artist list! You can find your favorite Craft + Design artists, or a search for a new favorite. Artists are listed by medium and by name, so it’s easy to find what you’re looking for.
- Found an artist (or a dozen) that you’d like to shop? Click on their image or the website link below their name and you’ll be redirected to this artist’s online store. Transactions, communications and shipping arrangements are the responsibility of the artist and buyer.
This year’s virtual event is a dream come true for art collectors, shopaholics and art lovers from Richmond and beyond. You’ll have the opportunity to meet these talented artists (virtually), through studio tours and demos on Instagram, and you could even get in on the art-making action by completing one of the art projects in the Virtual Weinstein Properties Education Wing + Demonstration Station. Throughout the week, artists will be going live on their own social media channels and on VisArts’ Instagram page (@visartsrva).
Again, if you’re wondering what’s happening at Craft + Design Online, check out the full line-up of programs on the schedule page.
Here are my top picks! These are virtual events I know I’ll be attending:
Saturday, November 21 – Jewelry
It’s all about the bling and sparkle
- Eileen Sutton (Jewelry) – Live on Instagram – 11:30 a.m.
- Bethany James (Jewelry) – Live on Instagram – 12 p.m.
- Rebecca Perea-Kane (Jewelry) – Live on Instagram – 4 p.m.
- Hilary Hertzler (Jewelry) – Live on Instagram – 4:30 p.m.
Sunday, November 22 – Fiber & Wearable Art
- Weinstein Properties Education Wing Community Art Project – YouTube Premiere – 1 p.m.
I’m going to grab my teenagers to create a work of art using bold and colorful drawings. We’re super competitive family, so let the fun begin…We’ll frame the winner!
- Yuh Okano (Wearable Art) – Live on Zoom (passcode: 3rvzCq – 4 p.m.
- Alyssa Salomon (Wearable Art) – Live on Instagram – 6:30 p.m.
Monday, November 23 – Metal
- Craft Cocktails with Brent Stubblefield – Live on VisArts Instagram – 5:30 p.m.
This will be a great way to finish my workday. I’ve always wanted a handcrafted knife. Metalsmith Brent Stubblefield will be giving virtual tour and inside look at his process. I’ll have my favorite bourbon handy!
Tuesday, November 24 – Mixed Media
- Sallie Plumley (Wood) – Live on Instagram – 5 p.m.
How could I miss an opportunity to support my friend? As a little girl, Sallie spent countless hours in her granddaddy’s woodshop and wood carving club. Her admiration and love for her grandfather’s craftmanship turned into her passion for custom woodworking. She’s a master woodworker. Grandaddy would be proud.
Wednesday, November 25 – Wood
What else “wood” you rather do? I’d rather take lunch early to watch this:
- Wood Demo with Sallie Plumley – On VisArts Instagram – 11 a.m.
Thursday, November 26
Thanksgiving: Family, Food + the Arts
- Click here to shop the artist by name or here by category
- You’ll be bombarded by “Black Friday” ads all day. Smart and kind people shop small and support local. VisArts has made that easy to do both.
Friday, November 27 – Ceramics
Let’s get fired up!
- Third Annual VisArts Clay Olympics – YouTube Premiere – 1 p.m.
Football will be on, but I’ll be watching four potters compete to build various vessels in a series of wheel throwing challenges...Can’t wait to see which potter will be crowned the winner!
Saturday, November 28 – Furniture
- Furniture Demo with Alicia Dietz – On VisArts Instagram – 11 a.m.
- Emily Kuchenbecker (Glass) – Live on Instagram – 10:30 a.m.
Emily creates art out of glass inspired by nature. You can create a project inspired by her art on Sunday, November 29. Plan ahead by reviewing the project instructions available at visarts.org.
Sunday, November 29 – Glass
- Craft Cocktails with Erin and Grant Garmezy – Live on VisArts Instagram – 5:00 p.m.
You don’t want to miss this magic show! Grant is beyond amazing. His glass sculptures are works of art with fine, intricate details. Get a tour of their studio located in Varina, VA and a glassblowing demo. I will be watching and justifying my glass antlers purchase with my hubby!
- Lilian Asterfield – Live on Instagram – 10:30 a.m.
I’ve been a fan of Lilian Asterfield for several years. Her neckwear made from silk ties are showstoppers. One must be ready for compliments while wearing her pieces. I stay ready!
As you’ll see, this year’s virtual event has something for everyone. At VisArts, it’s our hope that you’ll find joy and awesome craft finds despite the necessary change to a virtual show versus an in-person event. Many of the artists participating in Craft + Design Online will also be exhibiting at Craft + Design in person in June 2021. We look forward to seeing you there next year!
2020 Craft + Design Committee
P.S. Don’t be shy! Post pictures of you at C+D online, your purchases and/or art projects on social media. Don’t forget to tag VisArts (@visartsrva) and use #craftanddesignonline2020.