Apply for a Waiver
People who have not taken a qualifying class at VisArts within the past 12 months but believe they have the necessary knowledge and experience to work independently in the studios, may apply for a waiver and, if granted, sit for a skills test instead of taking a qualifying class.
You might consider applying for a waiver if you:
- Are a member or former member of VisArts’ Clay Guild
- Studied or are currently studying art at a college or university
- Formerly taught art at VisArts (current teachers automatically qualify for open studio access)
- Have taken classes at other community art centers or craft schools
- Are a professional artist or designer in need of specialized equipment
- Teach K-12 art
- Have taken several qualifying classes at VisArts but none within the past 12 months
You should expect to hear from someone at VisArts within two business days of applying for a waiver. If a waiver is not granted, you will need to take a qualifying class before accessing the studios independently. If your waiver application is preliminarily approved, a studio coordinator will be in touch to schedule your skills test. Skills tests are offered on a weekly basis.