About This Studio
VisArts’ wood studio is a fully functioning, state of the art workspace that is built to facilitate a wide variety of projects. VisArts’ wood studio is equipped with six workbenches, a SawStop table saw, planer, jointer, miter saw, mortise, band saws, drill press, bench grinder, drum sander and a lathe. The wood studio also boasts a ventilation system, which connects to the equipment as well as the work areas. We also stock various hand tools, power tools, and safety equipment. For a complete equipment list, please scroll to the bottom of this page.
(804) 353-0094, ext. 226
Open Studio Schedule
The open studio schedule is updated for each class session. Please note that times are subject to change.
- Wear proper attire: close-toed shoes, no loose clothing or dangling jewelry. Keep long hair pulled back.
- Safety glasses are necessary when using both power tools and working with hand tools.
- Hearing protection is provided and recommended when operating loud machinery.
- Dust collection and ventilation systems must be used when operating machinery. Make sure the proper duct is open for the machine you are using.
- Dust masks or respirators are recommended during any dust-creating processes. Dust masks are available for purchase at the front desk.
- The studio should be left as clean or cleaner than you found it; all wood shavings and cuttings should be swept up and properly disposed of. Return all machines to a state of readiness for the next person to use.
- Be alert for any unusual sounds, loose parts, dull blades or poor adjustments when turning on or operating a machine. Correct the situation before continue use or alert a monitor or VisArt staff member. Never force a machine to do work.
- Report any electrical hazards immediately.
- Always ask for assistance if you have any questions about how to operate equipment and machinery.
- If you trip the Saw Stop because of using improper wood, you will be responsible for the costs of replacing the blade and cartridge.
- Wood on storage racks has been purchase by teachers for classes and is for class-use only.
- Paid studio access users must bring their own wood.
- No treated or reclaimed wood is allowed in this studio.
- Be careful to remove all hardware from wood; this is dangerous and can damage or destroy equipment.
- All projects in progress should be stored or taken home.
- Glue and sandpaper are available. All users are free to take material from the scrap bin.
EQUIPMENT + TOOL USAGE DURING OPEN STUDIO
- Toolkits are reserved for students.
- A limited set of hand tools are available for paid access users.
- All equipment is available for use except the lathe and drum sander.
- 6 benches
- 2 band saws (3/8 & 5/8 blades)
- Palm and Table Routers (specific bits should be ordered for class)
- Lathe (extra certification required for use)
- 32” Drum Sander
- 13” Planer
- 6” Jointer
- Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw
- Drill Press
- 8” slow speed Bench Grinder
- Student Toolbox Includes: dovetail saw, marking gauge, 1”, ½”, ¼” chisels, Angle Gauge, Tape Measure, Card Scraper, Combination Square, Coping Saw, Mallet, Block Plane, Concave Spokeshave
- Miscellaneous Hand Tools
- Jig Saws
- Power Drills
- Various Clamps
- Orbital Sanders
- Compressed Air Line