About the Studio
VisArts’ metal studio is a multi-purpose space that allows for many different metal-working techniques such as casting, soldering, and enameling. The space is equipped with 12 work benches, soldering stations, polishing stations and grinding stations. We also have a jewelry kiln and casting furnace as well as plenty of hammers, takes, mandrels and other basic hand tools.
(804) 353-0094, ext. 226
Open Studio Schedule
The open studio schedule is updated for each class session. Please note that times are subject to change.
- Do not use any equipment or tools you are uncomfortable with. Always ask a monitor or coordinator if you need assistance.
- Wear proper attire: close-toed shoes, no loose clothing or dangling jewelry, and always pull hair back. Wear clothes with natural fibers (no synthetics) when operating torches or the alcohol lamp.
- The studio should be left as clean or cleaner than you found it: please put away all tools, all metal shavings and cuttings should be swept up, and all work in progress should be taken home.
- Wear provided eye protection when using the flex shaft, drill press, belt sander, and buffing wheels. We also recommend eye protection when sawing.
- Dust collection and ventilation systems must be used when operating machinery.
- Dust masks and respirators are recommended when sanding, polishing and mixing investment. Dust masks are available for purchase at he front desk.
- Do not wear gloves when operating spinning machinery like buffing wheels, belt sander, drill press or flex shaft. This is extremely dangerous.
- If the tanks at the soldering station need to be changed, ask for assistance. Only teachers, studio monitors and studio assistants can change tanks.
- Follow tool and equipment rules: green handle hammers are for non-ferrous metal only, stepshear is for nonferrous sheet metals only.
- Wear proper eye protection when casting or operating kilns.
- Metal is provided to students currently enrolled in a class as part of their class fee. Paid access users must supply their own metal.
- Flux, solder, pickle, patinas, and saw blades are available to all open studio users.
- We do not allow aluminum, pewter, pot metals or any scrap metals or those you cannot identify.
EQUIPMENT + TOOL USAGE DURING OPEN STUDIO
- Studio tools are available to all open studio users; tool kits and specified burs and drill bits are for students only.
- Open studio users can access all equipment except for forges and the burnout kiln. The enameling kiln is available to those with certification only.
- 12 Benches
- 3 Flex Shaft Station
- 4 acetylene/air smith torches
- Rolling Mill
- Step Shear
- Drill Press
- Belt/Disc Sander
- Buffing Machine
- Hammers, Anvils, Stakes
- Student Toolkits Include:
- (Ring Clamp, Bench Block, Ring File, Round-Nose, Chain-Nose, Flat-Nose Pliers, Needle File, Ruler, Center Punch, Flush Cutters, Burnisher)
- Miscellaneous Hand Tools (pliers, files, etc)
- Wax Carving Tools/Lamps
- Vacuum Casting Machine
- Burnout Kilns
- Enameling Kilns
- Ultrasonic Cleaner
- Rotary Tumbler w/ Stainless Shot