About This Studio
VisArts’ glass studios provide the space and equipment needed for glass fusing, stained glass and glass casting processes. The studio is equipped with four large work areas, a light table, soldering irons, lap grinder, tile saw, kilns and more. For a complete list of equipment, please scroll down to the bottom of this page.
(804) 353-0094, ext. 226
Open Studio Schedule
The open studio schedule is updated for each class session. Please note that times are subject to change.
- Closed-toed shoes are required. Please do not wear loose clothes/sleeves or dangling jewelry. Hair must be tied back.
- All studio users must wear provided eye protection when cutting, grinding, polishing, or soldering.
- Dust mask or respirators must be worn and proper ventilation must be used when working with glass dust, casting plaster, enamels, talc, silica, kiln paper, ceramic fiber, etc. Dust masks are recommended when using the sand blaster as well.
- Always use water when operating stained glass grinders, lapidary grinder, tile saw, and band saw. Be careful not to overfill water reservoir in the stained glass grinders.
- Use cutting oil when using glass cutters to maintain the longevity and sharpness of the tools.
- Kilns are to be operated only by instructors and studio assistants. This includes loading, firing, and unloading.
- Only use the tools designated to your specific process and return them to the correct storage area.
- Clean up dust with a wet sponge or vacuum. Do not sweep. Wear a dust mask or respirator when vacuuming. Dust mask are available for purchase at the front desk.
- No outside glass should be used for fusing unless you have received specific permission from your instructor.
- Students receive materials as a part of their class fees and are able to purchase additional glass during class.
- Open studio access users must use only our glass for fusing; glass for stained glass can be brought in and approved by the studio monitor.
EQUIPMENT + TOOL USAGE DURING OPEN STUDIOPlease note that while there are open studio hours for the glass annex, there are no open studio hours for the glass studio this session. Students enrolled in a class should check with their teachers for times they can access the glass studio outside of class time.
- All hand tools available.
- Grinders and tile saw may be used; sandblaster may be used when another class is not in session in flameworking.
- The band saw and lap grinder are not available for use.
- Kilns should not be programmed, loaded or unloaded by anyone but instructors, studio assistants or the studio manager.
- Four large work tables
- Glass Cutting Equipment
- Soldering Irons
- Lead Vise/Stretcher
- Glass Grinders
- Wet Tile Saw
- Glass Grinders
- Flat Lapidary Grinder (not available during open studio)
- Wet Band Saw (not available during open studio)
- Fusing/Slumping Kilns
- Sand Blaster
- Miscellaneous Glass Tools
- Light Table