About This Studio
The digital lab is a studio for digital design, filmmaking, animation and photography. The space is made up of two rooms: a computer lab, with eight student terminals, and a small attached classroom that offers open table space. Each students terminal features a Mac computer with full access to the Adobe design suite. We also have a scanner, printer and Wacom tablets available for use. For a complete list of equipment, please scroll to the bottom of this page.
(804) 353-0094, ext. 226
Open Studio Schedule
The open studio schedule is updated for each class session. Please note that times are subject to change.
- Write your name, class (if applicable), and the date on the back of any work left on the drying racks. Take all work home at the end of each 11-week session. Work that’s left behind will be discarded.
- When leaving the studio, return all easels, trays and stools to “studio neutral.” This means that all easels are lined up along the edge of the room, all trays and chairs are folded, and all tables are properly stowed away. Please ensure all surfaces, easels and sinks are also wiped down.
- When not actively using solvents, please keep the containers covered to minimize evaporation. Do not use paper towels for any oil-based paint clean-up.
- Please dispose of any rags containing solvents or oils in the metal-lidded containers. Do not throw anything containing oils/solvents in the regular trashcans. These materials can spontaneously combust.
- No spray paint, fixative, or other aerosol can materials are to be used in the studios.
- Odorless solvents are the only solvents allowed in the building. Terpenoid and Gamsol are the only two approved solvents, as they have a very low rate of evaporation. No turpentine, xylene, or other noxious liquids are allowed.
- For your safety, oil paint and solvents may not be used in the Drawing North studio due to poor ventilation. Those materials may only be used in Drawing West or Drawing East.
- Do not dump any solvents down the sink. Pour reusable solvents into separate containers if you wish to continue using them.
- Solvents and paint tubes are both hazardous and combustible materials. These can both be disposed of in their respective red safety bins, located in Drawing East.
EQUIPMENT + TOOL USAGE DURING OPEN STUDIO
- We welcome both oil and water-based processes during open studio. Encaustic processes are not allowed during open studio at this time.
- Open studio users are welcome to utilize easels, wooden trays, stools, pedestals and communal still life set-ups.
- Open studio users are expected to bring their own materials. VisArts does provide rags, solvent, and soap for cleaning brushes.
- Drawing and painting studio access has both scheduled, monitored access, and unmonitored access outside of class.
- 8 iMac computers with access to Adobe Creative Cloud (includes Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premier and more)
- 8 Wacom tablets
- Laser printer
- TV monitor with HDMI projection