About This Studio
The VisArts clay department includes the Elisabeth Scott Bocock Studio (Clay I), the Camden, McCord and Reynolds Studio (Clay 2), a glazing room, glaze-mixing area and kilns rooms. We also have an outdoor firing area with both a gas and raku kiln. Each studio is equipped with 12 wheels, hand-building tables and storage space. We also have slab rollers, extruders, dies, molds and much more. For a complete list of equipment, scroll down.
(804) 353-0094, ext. 216
Open Studio Schedule
- This is a community studio, please be respectful of others.
- No food or drink in the glazing, glaze mixing or kiln rooms.
- Clay can be messy. Please wear proper attire.
- No sweeping please. Use sponges and scrapers to clean tables and wheels and the HEPA vacuum for the floor.
- Take the time to clean up when you are finished working. Help us keep our studio a healthy working environment for everyone.
- Please do not put clay in the sinks. Strain off excess water and put clay chunks in the trash or, if appropriate, the reclaim bin.
- Only reclaim the white stoneware.
- Store your work on your shelf only. If you need extra space for a short time we can accommodate that on a first come basis, but there is no permanent extra storage.
- Please do not handle the work of others.
- The last day to work in wet clay is two weeks before your last class. This allows us time to have your work bisqued and ready for glazing before your class ends!
- Students receive (1) 25 lb. bag of clay as a part of their materials for class. Class fees also include glazing and firing
- There are no additional materials provided beyond the listed tools and equipment for paid open studio access users.
- Only clay purchased from VisArts or clay approved by Studio Manager may be used.
- Clay is available for purchase at the front desk. We generally stock Standard 182G, Standard 112, Standard 308, Standard 365, Standard 257 and Highwater Little Loafers.
EQUIPMENT + TOOL USAGE DURING OPEN STUDIO
- Basic studio tools are available for use such as metal and wood ribs, cut-off wire, needle tools, trimming tools, sponges, buckets, etc.
- Students and paid access users can utilize the slab roller, extruder and all wheels.
- Use of the spray booth, bench grinder or glaze mixing area are allowed only after you have been certified by the studio manager.
GLAZE MIXING STUDIO POLICIES
- You must be certified by the Studio Manager before you have access to this space.
- You must wear a respirator when using this space.
- Record you glaze recipe and amount of materials used in the glaze book.
- Do not waste materials.
- Put everything away when you are finished.
- Clean the area when finished.
- You must provide your own storage containers.
- No food or drink allowed in this studio.
GLAZING STUDIO POLICIES
- Please wash all whisks, glaze brushes and wax brushes before putting them away.
- Rinse all glazes brushes in the wash bucket before washing in the sink.
- Wipe down glaze area and throw away newspaper before leaving the glaze room.
- Put all glazed pieces on the proper shelf before you leave.
- No eating or drinking in this studio.
- Wear a mask, preferably a respirator, when using the spray booth.
- You must be certified by the Studio Manager before you can operate the spray booth or sandblaster.
- Clean the spray booth when you are finished.
- Do not add or remove water from the glazes. Please ask your teacher or a studio monitor if you need assistance.
- Make sure to place the lids on all glaze buckets and wax containers when you are finished using them.
KILN ROOM POLICIES
- Only VisArts staff are permitted to load or unload kilns.
- Do not set pieces on top of kilns to dry.
- Please be careful when placing work on the shelves for bisque or glaze firing.
- Place your work at the rear of the shelf.
- Make sure you are putting your piece in the correct area.
- Do not handle the work of others.
- If you break something, leave a note.
- This area is for FINISHED work ONLY. Do not store “in progress” pieces in this area.
- Please remove your work as promptly as you can. This space can fill up quickly.
- No food or drink in this studio.
- 24-Brent C wheels
- 1-stand up Brent C wheel
- 2-Lockerbie motorized kickwheels
- 2-Brent Model #16 (wheel chair accessible) wheels
- 1-24 inch Brent slabroller
- 1-20 Bailey adjustable slabroller
- 1-4 inch Scott Creek extruder
- 1-4×4 Bailey extruder
- Laguna spray booth
- Large sand blaster
- Bench grinder
- Multiple large tables for hand-building
- 6-Skutt KM 1027-3 kilns
- 1-Skutt KM 1627-3 kiln
- Olympic raku kiln
- Bailey gas kiln
- Assorted clay tools, spray bottles, plaster slumping molds and wedging tables