Visual Arts Residency
The Visual Arts Center of Richmond (VisArts) invites visual artists to apply for the organization’s 11-month residency program, funded in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts and the Windgate Foundation.
Three visual artists will be invited to spend the year (September 1- July 31) making new work, which will be included in a group exhibition set to open in the spring of their residency year. The exhibition will be curated by a consulting curator contracted by VisArts.
- Work in residence at VisArts’ residency space
- Teach up to two classes at VisArts in the winter and spring sessions. Please note that residents are paid for teaching under a separate contract
- Host open studio events during major events throughout the year
- Contribute work to the final resident artist exhibition
- Give a gallery talk
- Host regular studio visits with donors, funders and friends of the organization, as requested
VisArts will provide residents with:
- $5,000 honorarium
- $500 materials budget
- Private instruction by VisArts instructors to learn new techniques
- Small, private studio with additional shared studio space available
- Access to all VisArts’ tools and equipment
- An exhibition in the True F. Luck Gallery with curatorial guidance and installation support.
- Professional photography of the final exhibition
- Video of the emerging artists at work
- 10 printed copies of the exhibition catalog
- Professional headshot of the artist
- Annual membership to the Visual Arts Center of Richmond
VisArts Artist Residency Program participants can be established and emerging artists working in a range of visual art and craft-based materials. Artists must be over the age of 18.
All artists are welcome to apply, but in an effort to address systemic inequalities, we will prioritize applications from BIPOC artists and those that come from groups that have been historically underrepresented due to age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or socioeconomic status.
Residents are required to live in Richmond for the year of their residency and are expected to become vibrant members of the VisArts community. They cannot be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program and must commit to spending at least 20 hours a week in the studio. Living quarters are not available, and at this time, we cannot accept international applicants.
HOW TO APPLY
We will be accepting applications for the 2022-2023 VisArts Artist Residency Program. All applications will be reviewed by a jury, and finalists will complete a short virtual interview prior to being offered the residency. All applications are accepted through Jotform via the link below and there is no fee to apply. Please e-mail [email protected] if you have any questions.
2023-2024 Annual Visual Artist Residency
Residency Dates: September 1, 2023 – July 31, 2024
Application opens: February 6, 2023 at 9:00 a.m.
Application deadline: April 3, 2023 at 8:00 p.m.
We will notify all applicants by June 15, 2023.
Have questions about this program? Email [email protected].