Creative Writing Residency
The Visual Arts Center of Richmond (VisArts) extends an invitation for writers to apply for the organization’s 11-month residency program. One writer, without a published full-length book, will be invited to spend the year creating new work.
Residents will have the opportunity to:
- Work in residence at VisArts’ residency space
- Teach up to two classes at VisArts in the winter and spring sessions. Please note that residents are paid for teaching under a separate contract.
- Host open studio events during major events throughout the year
- Give a public reading, organize programming and/or have the opportunity to contribute work to the final resident artist exhibition
- Host studio visits with donors, funders and friends of the organization, as requested
VisArts will provide the resident writer with:
- $5,000 honorarium
- $500 materials budget to be used for individual projects or toward their reading and/or other event
- Private instruction hours from a VisArts instructor
- Small, private studio space
- Consultation with a literary agent at the conclusion of the residency
- Professional headshots
- Annual membership to the Visual Arts Center of Richmond
- One-year membership to James River Writers and free registration to attend the James River Writers Conference, which takes place in October
VisArts Writing Residency participants can be established and emerging writers without a published full-length book. Applicants must be over the age of 18. VisArts will prioritize writers who have a demonstrated practice and are either emerging in their field or exploring new ideas. This residency is a mutual relationship with VisArts; we support the residents and their work, while the residents connect with our community. When submitting an application to be considered, we highly encourage applicants to provide a description of the work they hope to accomplish while in residency, expand on any specific project outlines, discuss how this opportunity impacts their professional goals, as well as touch on how they would like to personally engage with our creative community.
All artists are welcome to apply, but in an effort to address systemic inequalities, we will prioritize applications from BIPOC artists and those that come from groups that have been historically underrepresented due to age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or socioeconomic status.
Residents are required to live in Richmond for the year of their residency and are expected to become vibrant members of the VisArts community. They cannot be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program and must commit to spending at least 20 hours a week in the studio. Living quarters are not available. International applicants can be considered.
HOW TO APPLY
All applications are accepted via the link below and there is no fee to apply. Applications will be reviewed by a jury, and finalists will be invited for a short virtual interview in the final stages of the jury process.
THE APPLICATION WINDOW IS NOW CLOSED
Check back for the application link.
2024-2025 Annual Residency
Residency Dates: September 1, 2024 – July 31, 2025
Application opens: February 5, 2024 at 9:00 a.m.
Application deadline: April 1, 2024 at 8:00 p.m.
We will notify all applicants by June 14, 2024.
Please e-mail [email protected] if you have any questions.